Re: Strange screenshots problem

From: Erik Rauch
Subject: Re: Strange screenshots problem
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 19:26:43 -0500 (EST)

ER> I encounter a strange problem when trying to use the screenshot
ER> code in Heatbugs (2.1.1). What happens is that when the program
ER> gets to this code, the app slows to a crawl, and top reveals that
ER> the X server is eating up a lot of cycles. Then all other X
ER> windows except for Swarm's disappear. The other windows
ER> periodically come back and disappear again. Is there a better way
ER> to output screenshots?
>
>The first thing to try is to carefully tile all the windows on the
>screen. Avoid overlaps or extra de-iconified windows. If you still
>see flashing of windows up and down, switch window managers. Taking
>screen shots of ordinary windows without double-buffering is a tricky
>business, and the insane complexity of X window management doesn't
>simplify things.
>
>How many snapshots do you get?

The original results were with olvwm (Open Look), and I tried with icewm
with the same results. I attempted to tile the windows, but when they
first appear they are overlapping, and after that the main raster display
is immovable. It takes about 10 seconds for the windows to flash and the
screenshot to save, so I'm able to get one screenshot every 10 seconds or
so. I'm also getting the error message:

*** event raised for warning: WarningMessage
*** function: tkobjc_pixmap_create_from_widget(), file: internal.m,
line: 1291
Window manager won't allow map

Is there a way to dump the raster directly rather than go through a window
manager? (If not I have some old code that outputs gifs that could be used
for this purpose).