Re: .pgm files

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: .pgm files
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 16:26:56 -0600

Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

> MM> I am wondering how I would go about
> MM> editing the .pgm files (that are essentially 2d arrays of numbers)
> MM> that come with the implementation of Sugarscape in Swarm.
>
> I'd suggest installing the netpbm utilities.  There's a copy of the
> source code and NT binaries on the Swarm 1.3.1 CD-ROM.  The particular
> utility you want is ppmtopgm for reverting back to a grayscale
> from a pixmap.

Since I know Matthew is a Redhat user, I should remind him and others
following this link of our (mine and Sven's) struggles with the Redhat
supplied versions of these programs.  The binaries supplied by redhat to
mungle these formats did not work in Redhat 5.1 and did not in the most
recent RPM I checked.   I've reported the bug to redhat but I think it
is a low priority for them. Their libgr-programs package contains that
file and its SRC.RPM does not recompile on any of themachines I've
tried.

 I recompiled these things from scratch using the netpbm-plus source and
Sven too has executed them and says they work. So, if you are a redhat
user and you need to convert a ppmtopgm, let me know.  I also have
recompiled versions of the fli maker software that suse provides. It did
not run under glibc or the libc5 legacy stuff in Redhat.

pj

University of Kansas                  Office: (913) 864-9086