SGIs

From: J.J. Merelo Guervos
Subject: SGIs
Date: Fri, 2 May 97 08:15:08 +0200

>>>>> "glen" == glen e p ropella <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

    glen>   1. JJ Merelo reports a memory allocation alignment problem
    glen> compiling with an SGI O2 running Irix 6.3.  2. Ricardo

Actually, an Indigo running 4.0.1, gcc 2.7.2.1

    glen> 64-bit capabilities of the machine.  3. Several people have
    glen> expressed problems in installing the base packages on SGIs:
    glen> gcc, tcl/tk, etc.  4. And, finally, I've heard rumours that

Right... gcc and tcl/tk can be found precompiled in a number of sites
(mainly in Europe), but to make gcc run correctly, you must install
GNU binutils before. You can't even compile gcc with the not-bundled C
compiler, you need GNU's assembler before...

    glen> the problem with SGIs resides in gcc.

Among other places...

    glen> installation of any of our libraries
    glen> (gcc/objc/tcl/tk/blt/libtclobjc/swarm) OR if anybody is

I have reported a couple of times problems with BLT. Mainly, you have
to turn off optimization, or you'll get an assembler error. Others
pose no problem.

    glen> It might also be nice for everybody interested in running
    glen> Swarm on an SGI to raise their hand and be counted.  And
    glen> maybe explain how far you got in the process of installing
    glen> Swarm.  Until I hear different, I'm going to assume that
    glen> Swarm isn't running on any SGIs anywhere.

Me, I installed swarm beta and run fine (except for tcl color error
messages), and with the O2, I'm still trying to make gcc work. I have
tried compiling C and It does not, I'll try objc.

See ya!

                                JJ

--
JJ Merelo                         | http://kal-el.ugr.es/htbin/jj-plex