SGIs

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: SGIs
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 17:31:22 -0600

OK.  I'm almost ready to release 1.0.2, which includes changes
that allow Swarm to work on the Alpha.  So, now I can turn
some of my attention to the SGI problems we've been having.

Here's the deal....

  1. JJ Merelo reports a memory allocation alignment problem
     compiling with an SGI O2 running Irix 6.3.
  2. Ricardo Serrano also has an SGI O2 and has talked to
     SGI (I believe) and affirmed that there shouldn't be
     any problems due to the 64-bit capabilities of the
     machine.
  3. Several people have expressed problems in installing
     the base packages on SGIs: gcc, tcl/tk, etc.
  4. And, finally, I've heard rumours that the problem with
     SGIs resides in gcc.

Now, I have no idea which parts of these I can deal with and
which parts I can't.  I now have two accounts on two separate
SGI machines (graciously donated by two of our community) and
will try to install everything from scratch.  If *anybody*
knows *anything* peculiar to SGIs and the installation of
any of our libraries (gcc/objc/tcl/tk/blt/libtclobjc/swarm)
OR if anybody is right now, successfully running Swarm on
an SGI, then please let Swarm-Support know.

It might also be nice for everybody interested in running
Swarm on an SGI to raise their hand and be counted.  And
maybe explain how far you got in the process of installing
Swarm.  Until I hear different, I'm going to assume that
Swarm isn't running on any SGIs anywhere.

Thanks.
glen
--
{glen e. p. ropella <address@hidden> |                                  }
{Hive Drone, SFI Swarm Project         |            Hail Eris!            }