swarm-modeling

Re: Pre-doctoral position available

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Pre-doctoral position available
Date: 18 Jul 2000 16:57:22 -0700

Pre-doctoral Position in Agent-based Computer Simulation.

GRIC-IRIT (Groupe de Recherche en Ingénierie Cognitive,
Institut de Recherche en Informatique de Toulouse), France.

A pre-doctoral researcher is required to help develop agent-based
computer simulations of complex organisational work settings
(e.g. emergency control rooms, air traffic control rooms, etc.). The
work is to be conducted as part of a large EU funded project called
COSI (Complexity in Social Science) which involves partners from eight
European countries. The work will involve developing and implementing
computer models of real work settings. The post is available for 2
years, starting anytime from September 2000 onwards. Broadly, the aims
of the project are to analyse the organisational work settings
according to the complexity paradigm and to increase the general
awareness of using the theory of complex systems in social
science. One goal of the project is to develop a European platform for
computer simulations in the social sciences. The pre-doctoral
researcher will contribute to this platform by helping to develop
computer simulations which demonstrate our approach.

Models and computer simulations of the work settings will be developed
and experiments with the simulations will then be conducted in order
to help redesign the actual work situation. The models will be based
on data obtained from field studies conducted by a team of cognitive
ergonomists.

The researcher will be based in the GRIC-IRIT (Groupe de Recherche en
Ingénierie Cognitive, Institut de Recherche en Informatique de
Toulouse) laboratory in Toulouse, France and will work in a
multi-disciplinary team of computer scientists, cognitive ergonomists
and psychologists. A basic level of French may be useful but is not
essential (we are a multi-lingual lab!). Experience in developing
computer simulations in either Swarm or Starlogo is required.

The COSI project is a Research Training Network funded by the European
Commission.  To be able to work on the project, the pre-doctoral
researcher must be under 36 years of age, be from one of the 15 member
states of the European Union and be eligible to start a PhD (the
applicant may already be registered for a PhD at another institution).
One of the aims of the Research Training Network is to increase the
mobility of young researchers. Unfortunately, this means that French
citizens are not eligible for this post. However, our other European
partners have similar positions and we would be delighted to forward
enquiries from French citizens.

For further information, please contact Julie Dugdale
address@hidden or Pascal Salembier address@hidden

Related information: We have a number of published papers relating to
our work on developing computer simulations of work settings and to
the contribution of complexity theory to the study of socio-technical
systems. These are available at

http://www.irit.fr/COSI/project/jobs/gricpostdoc.htm. If you have any
problems obtaining a copy of these papers please send an email to
Julie Dugdale address@hidden or Pascal Salembier
address@hidden).

What is an EU Research Training Network?

  http://www.cordis.lu/improving/src/hp_rtn.htm

   body of the message.