swarm-modeling

Re: Pre-doctoral position available

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: Pre-doctoral position available
Date: 18 Jul 2000 17:35:26 -0600

JD> Please find attached an advertisement for a pre-doctoral
JD> researcher. The attached file contains more information, but very
JD> briefly, the researcher is required to help develop computer-based
JD> simulations of complex organisational work settings. The work is
JD> to be conducted as part of a large European funded Project called
JD> COSI (Complexity in Social Science).

JD> Best Regards Julie Dugdale

Julie,

Thanks for posting the position, I'm sure it will be of interest to
many list members.  However, may I be allowed to make some
suggestions?  It's best not to post Micosoft Word documents to the
list for several reasons: 1) a good percentage of our users (I'm one)
run Unix exclusively (Solaris and Linux being the most popular) and
hence have no facility to read Word documents (unless they've
installed StarOffice or some other such bloatware); 2) Word documents
are large with respect to the text that they are actually encoding, an
ASCII version of the same thing can be around 25-30% of the size, and
so you save considerably on list bandwidth; 3) if what you are posting
is basically text anyway, then it's easier on users (and it's more
likely that they'll read it) if you make it ASCII text, because you
don't need to leave your mail reader and fire up MS Word (assuming you
have it installed) just to scan the text.

So, sorry for the rant, but it would be great if you could repost your
advertisment in ASCII text (then I could actually read it! ;-)

Thanks,

Alex

While I'm in rant mode ;-) the above comments all apply to folks who
send mail in HTML format.  Please leave the HTML for those webpages.
--
Alex Lancaster * address@hidden * www.santafe.edu/~alex * 505 984-8800 x242
Santa Fe Institute (www.santafe.edu) & Swarm Development Group (www.swarm.org)

   body of the message.