swarm-modeling

Re: Use of "second hand" code.

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Use of "second hand" code.
Date: 05 Jul 2000 16:14:49 -0700

PJ> ANyway, I've found my way to the GNU scientific library, and they
PJ> have what i
PJ> need. (http://sourceware.cygnus.com/gsl/ref/gsl-ref_toc.html) I
PJ> wonder if gsl is in that whopper Swarm-for-Windows package?  OR
PJ> could it ever be?

Yep, GSL uses the same license as Swarm.

If Swarm itself used GSL library routines, those usages could be
conditionalized on HAVE_GSL and a --with-gsldir configure-time flag much
like the Java support is conditionalized.

PJ> I'm trying to find out how the GNU folks got permission to distribute

I believe most of the code they wrote themselves, and the rest was public
domain.

   body of the message.