swarm-modeling

Re: Use of "second hand" code.

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: Use of "second hand" code.
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 16:03:20 -0500

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> PJ> I was using an adapted piece of code from Numerical Recipes to get
> PJ> Binomial random variables.  Just for curiosity's sake, can
> PJ> something like that, with proper attribution, go into the Swarm
> PJ> code base?
>
> Page xv of the Preface says "Distribution of the machine-readable programs
> (either as copied by you or as purchased) to any other person is not
> authorized."  So, no.

Here's what bugs me. If I write an article, somebody can quote a few
paragraphs without my permission.  But the license on NR stuff is so
much more restrictive.  If you don't even take a whole function, but
just a phrase or some lines, then you can't distribute the source code.
That totally bites.

ANyway, I've found my way to the GNU scientific library, and they have
what i need. (http://sourceware.cygnus.com/gsl/ref/gsl-ref_toc.html)  I
wonder if gsl is in that whopper Swarm-for-Windows package?  OR could it
ever be?  If so, we could really ramp up the old random library in
swarm.

I'm trying to find out how the GNU folks got permission to distribute

   body of the message.