Speech-dispatcher on Fedora 9

From: Lars Bjørndal
Subject: Speech-dispatcher on Fedora 9
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:25:17 +0100

Jan Buchal <buchal at brailcom.org> writes:

>     LB> It seems to me that pulseaudio is, in Fedora, started somewhat
>     LB> automagically by GNOME, and it seems that it's under the user
>     LB> 'pulse'. Ok, so I started speech-dispatcher as the user pulse,
>     LB> and 'spd-say test', speaks. By the way, I get the following log
>     LB> output after spd-say:
> I'm not an expert for pulseaudio but I think that the streategy is, that
> pulse runs under user who is lodged. If pulseaudio runs under pulse, I
> think that pulse works as system wide service. If it is true then
> probably will be ok if you add an user to a pulse group. pulse-access
> for example or something similar it depends on you system.

I've already added my regualr user lrs into the groups pulse, pulse-rt
and pulse-access. After that, I started pulseaudio as user lrs, and I
got error about couldn't connect to pulse.:

[Tue Nov 11 15:23:11 2008 : 604321] speechd:   Speech Dispatcher
started with 1
output module
[Tue Nov 11 15:23:11 2008 : 604344] speechd:   Openning socket
connection
[lrs at lapx ~]$  Tue Nov 11 15:23:11 2008 [630324] PulseAudio ERROR:
CHECK_CONNECT
ED: !pulse_connected (retval=-1)

 Tue Nov 11 15:23:11 2008 [630365] PulseAudio ERROR: _pulse_close:
 error (_drain
)

>     LB> [root at lapx ~]# spd-say test [root at lapx ~]# E: authkey.c: Failed
>     LB> to open cookie file '//.pulse-cookie': No su ch file or
>     LB> directory E: authkey.c: Failed to load authorization key
>     LB> '//.pulse-cookie': No such file o r directory W: context.c: No
>     LB> cookie loaded. Attempting to connect without.
>
>     LB> However, after starting SD as user pulse, I cannot use paplay
>     LB> any more:
> And SD works with pulse output method?

spd-say spoke, yes. But paplay stopped working.

>     LB> [root at lapx ~]# paplay /usr/share/sounds/warning.wav Connection
>     LB> failure: Access denied [root at lapx ~]#
>
>     LB> And no, I'm stucked...
>
>     >> Regarding a configuration of SD you can use system configuration
>     >> in /etc/speech-dispatcher or in .speech-dispatcher in your home,
>     >> in home of user under which you runs SD. I recomment you try
>     >> spd-conf script for easier configuration of SD.
>
>     LB> That script seems to be missing in the Fedora distribution.
> Hm, it seams that in Fedora is older version of SD. Which version you
> have there?

It's speech-dispatcher-0.6.6-18.

Lars