Speech-dispatcher on Fedora 9

From: Lars Bjørndal
Subject: Speech-dispatcher on Fedora 9
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 14:43:22 +0100

Hello, and thank you!

I'll comment below:
Jan Buchal <buchal at brailcom.org> writes:

> I don know exactly which configuration of SD you have but I will you
> describe, how is possible make it:
>
> Pulseaudio is started under user. Please check if it works> paplay
> file.wav under the same user like pulseaudio runs.

It seems to me that pulseaudio is, in Fedora, started somewhat
automagically by GNOME, and it seems that it's under the user 'pulse'.
Ok, so I started speech-dispatcher as the user pulse, and 'spd-say
test', speaks. By the way, I get the following log output after
spd-say:

[root at lapx ~]# spd-say test
[root at lapx ~]# E: authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file
'//.pulse-cookie': No su
ch file or directory
E: authkey.c: Failed to load authorization key '//.pulse-cookie': No
such file o
r directory
W: context.c: No cookie loaded. Attempting to connect without.

However, after starting SD as user pulse, I cannot use paplay any
more:

[root at lapx ~]# paplay /usr/share/sounds/warning.wav
Connection failure: Access denied
[root at lapx ~]#

And no, I'm stucked...

> Regarding a configuration of SD you can use system configuration in
> /etc/speech-dispatcher or in .speech-dispatcher in your home, in home of
> user under which you runs SD. I recomment you try spd-conf script for
> easier configuration of SD.

That script seems to be missing in the Fedora distribution.
> Have a nice day

Same to you!

Lars