spamass-milt-list

Re: spamass-milter stops working under heavy load

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: spamass-milter stops working under heavy load
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:46:08 -0500

In the last episode (Jun 16), Jack L. Stone said:
> Dan: I too am having frequent SAM crashes -- maybe a couple or more a
> week. I've resorted to using Daemontools to see that it keeps going,
> because even a few minutes down lets the spams flood in.
>
> I had a core dump but apparently deleted it.
>
> No doubt, I'll have another soon. Dan, how can I convert the dump
> into something for you to use of value. I've never had much success
> in translating the dumps, but if you'll tell me the procedure, I send
> the next one.

Make sure your spamass-milter has debugging symbols (installing
binaries usually strips them, so build the port and manually copy the
executable to its final location), and run:

$ gdb spamass-milter spamass-milter.core
(gdb) info threads
(gdb) thread apply all bt

If you run the milter as a non-root user it may not be able to create
its corefile; you can force cores to a publicly-writable directory by
running "sysctl kern.corefile=/usr/tmp/%N.%P.core" as root.

> BTW: Will the milter-greylist-1.2.2_1 co0exist with the above....?? I
> tried it yesterday on a test box, but the SAM kept crashing on it
> too.

Milters shouldn't affect each other.

--
        Dan Nelson