spamass-milt-list

Re: spamass-milter stops working under heavy load

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: spamass-milter stops working under heavy load
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 19:52:05 +0200

> Standard behaviour for threaded apps under Linux when they crash.  I
> bet if you run "ps axw | grep spamass-milter", you see one process
> instead of the usual 3.  Extra points if you turn on coredumps and get
> a useable stack trace, or if you can figure out the email causing the
> crash.  I've gotten stack traces from RedHat users (dunno if the
> patches in redhat's RPM are the same as the ones in Suse's though), but
> I haven't determine where it's crashing.
>
> --
>       Dan Nelson
>       address@hidden

Dan,
indeed the behaviour is as described. We started a quick and dirty solution to
count
the number of running spamass-milter and restart if it's lower than 3. We just
had it
active for 4 hours or so and had one restart event. We'll observe this during
working
hours the next days.
We are stuffed with projects at the moment to only minimal time to figure out
what's
really going one here. We'll see if I can get a coredump from the crash.
Do you expect this problem to be caused by a single mail or do we have a race-
condition or similar here, so replication on other systems of the problem is
extremly
difficult?
If so, that I might try to "record" the SMTP traffic" and try to catch one of
the problem
mails. I've no idea how to get this done at the moment, but maybe there is an
option
to do this.

Regards
  Bernd