sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Cease of operation: *.gnupg.pub

From: Kristian Fiskerstrand
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Cease of operation: *.gnupg.pub
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 10:29:05 +0200

On 04/24/2018 10:20 AM, Valentin Brandl wrote:

> Am 2018 4 23 20:00:01 UTC schrieb Franck Nijhof <address@hidden>:
>> I am not sure if the little Git server thingy on that Sumptuous
>> Capital domain qualifies. Bitbucket is a fine service by Atlassian,
>> but let's be honest here, if you are serious about Open Source,
>> GitHub is the place to be. Open Source requires, issue management,
>> pull requests and above all: contributors! Unfortunately, the
>> latter are mostly found on GitHub.
>>
>> Nevertheless, thank you for your response Travis, that is very
>> much appreciated.
>
> While I agree with you that hosting the code on a smaller platform
> like bitbucket might keep some people from contributing, I'm actually
> glad there are projects that choose not to host their code on
> GitHub. You can actually use GitHub as authentication provider for
> Bitbucket so you are not required to create a new account to
> contribute to SKS.

I find the claim of relying on a proprietary service "if
you are serious about Open Source" somewhat more interesting.

In any case, github has a tendency of destroying proper commit messages
etc for the pull requests. That said, nothing stops a contributor from
using github to host their repo then doing a proper git pull request
(man git-request-pull) or just a git-format-patch.

This was described in more detail in
https://www.wired.com/2012/05/torvalds-github/ and comments starting
with at least
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/pull/17#issuecomment-5654674