sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] HTML5 in index page

From: Samir Nassar
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] HTML5 in index page
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 17:06:30 +0200

On 08/30/2011 03:08 , John Clizbe wrote:

> IMHO, this is topical to the list. rather than leave the web
> interface as a "you're on your own" implementation detail for SKS
> installers, I think we as a community would be better served if
> some example implementations were included in the source, even if
> we initially started with only an index.html and maybe a jpeg to
> put in /var/sks/web with a README/HOW-TO for forwarding from port
> 80.

I took a peek at the codebase today, specifically searching for HTML
snippets. I think the biggest problem, aside from the HTML, is that we
can't do anything with the output. We can't use external CSS, the HTML
isn't conformant, and we can't use external JS files. Also, how HTML
is built up in SKS is problematic for people who want to integrate SKS
into their websites without sticking out like a sore thumb.

These things are fixable without changing the codebase too much.

Doing the following would make things easier:

1) Add the ability to use external JavaScript and CSS
2) Give the output HTML enough structure to use external JS and CSS
from the www directory
3) Write up documentation to make this clear to implementers
4) Generate proper patches

I don't think this needs to take much time as long as you have a
markup monkey + someone who can understand Ocaml and SKS to look
things over.

Samir

- --
Samir Nassar