Re: vim syntax highlighting does not work in screen

From: Michael Parson
Subject: Re: vim syntax highlighting does not work in screen
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:23:41 -0500

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 12:19:07PM +0800, aladdin wrote:
> aladdin wrote:
>>
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> My vim syntax highlighting does not work in SCREEN.

<snip>

> I finally got it, everyone.

Congrats!

> It turns out that the alias vi='vim' is not set in SCREEN. (It is
> strange that vi alias is set outside of SCREEN properly but is not
> exported to SCREEN???  BTW, I cannot find in which file it is set,
> not in my global or local bash_profile and bashrc files...) So what I
> excuted in SCREEN is the ancient stuff *vi* actually.

RH has been shipping vim as vi for years. /bin/vi is not a real vi, but
a 'stripped down' vim as 'vim-minimal'

$ rpm -qf /bin/vi
vim-minimal-6.3.086-0.fc3.1

as opposed to:

$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/vim
vim-enhanced-6.3.086-0.fc3.1

(FC 3 is the oldest RH I have access to, but it has been that way for
a while).

> I added an alias line in my .bashrc and it fixed problem.
>
> I'm really sorry for my stupid mistake and having made you so much
> trouble. Thanks to all for your kind help.

All part of the learning process.

Only semi related, but I got in the habit of calling vim when I wanted
vim and vi when I wanted vi.  This is basically because vim is NOT vi
and there are a lot of times I want to use the real thing.  On (most)
Linux boxes, real vi is not shipped, so I have to go find an rpm for
nvi, which is the Berkeley vi, and install that.  In any case, this
generally prevents the type of confusion you ran into.

--
Michael Parson
address@hidden