Re: vim syntax highlighting does not work in screen

From: cga2000
Subject: Re: vim syntax highlighting does not work in screen
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:32:54 -0400

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 11:51:40PM EDT, aladdin wrote:

> cga2000 wrote:
> >1. In vim:
> ><snip>
> >.. what is the value of t_Co= ?
> t_Co=8 by default here.
>
> infocmp output shows *colors#8* too, both inside and outside SCREEN.
>
> ><snip>
> >You could try verifying this by issuing a:
> >
> >:set t_Co=8
> >:set t_Co=16
> I tried but makes no difference.

With a complicated matter like this .. serendipity is worth a try ..

As in .. changing things around on a vague hunch .. might not fix the
problem but might behave differently and give additional clues.

I doubt it's going to work in this instance..

> >2. Post on the address@hidden list for specialized help.
> >
> >There are some very knowledgeable folks on this list and they may be
> >able/willing to help.
> I will try that, thanks.

Yeah .. the idea here is that these people might think of additional
means of investigating things from a Vim standpoint.

That was the reason I encouraged you to describe your setup as clearly
as possible.

[..]

> There are two remote servers running redhat 9 and debian sarge
> respectively. They have nothing to do with each other actually. I am
> using a windows terminal and login the servers with putty in two
> seperate sessions. Then, I start SCREEN, find that vim in redhat goes
> wrong while in debian it appears right. That's the matter.

The rumor has it that RedHat have a history of fiddling with low-level
stuff .. in ways that are not always wise ..

> I ensured the term options of two sessions(for debian and redhat) in
> putty are exactly the same. So putty can be excluded from our
> discussion, I think.

Now I have a clearer picture of your set up, I would tend to agree ..

> Then, SCREEN and vim, which one is the cause of the problem really
> makes me puzzled.

Sounds like the RedHat implementation of screen or vim .. or both .. is
broken in subtle ways..

Someone who knows the internals of Vim's handling of colors on terminals
should be able to direct you to diagnosing the problem .. and hopefully
find some solution or workaround that does not necessitate upgrading the
RH9 box to something more current.

[..]

Thanks

cga