screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Current screen HEAD can't reattach to a detached scre

From: richo
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Current screen HEAD can't reattach to a detached screen 4.0.3
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 14:27:50 +1100

On 18/11/11 19:11 +0100, Axel Beckert wrote:
Hi Sadrul,

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 12:47:59PM -0500, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury wrote:
2011/10/8 Axel Beckert <address@hidden>:
> I'm currently preparing an upload of the current screen HEAD to Debian
> (either Unstable or Experimental, not yet decided) and I noticed that,
> if I have a screen 4.0.3 (as currently in Debian Stable/Unstable) is
> running, I can't reattach to that with the new screen 4.1.0 snapshot,
> it just hangs until I kill it with "kill -TERM" as Ctrl-C does not
> help.
>
> As for me the common way to dist-upgrade Debian or Ubuntu boxes
> (especially remote servers) is to run the whole process inside a
> screen, this is a quite critical issue. So I wonder:
>
> Is this issue known? Not circumventable? An unexpected bug? Anyone has
> an idea where this comes from? Or does it not happen at all with vanilla
> screen versions?

Hi! Sorry for the late reply. :-(

Better late than never. So thanks for replying! :-)

This is a know and expected issue. The way the screen 'server' and the
screen 'client'/'display' communicate has changed slightly, and so a
newer (4.1.0) screen 'client'/'display' won't be able to communicate
with an older (4.0.3) screen 'server' process. Unfortunately, there
isn't a workaround for this.

That's what I feared. :-(

There's no chance for a command line option (something like e.g.
--legacy-server) to let the client communicate with a 4.0.3 server?
That would probably help a lot for the migration.

                Kind regards, Axel

What about the obvious, just keep a 4.03 binary around while you do the
upgrade.

If you have to disconnect, reattach to the screen session with 4.0.3, and if
it all goes well, nuke that session and begin using 4.1

Cheers

richo

--
richo || Today's excuse:

Your Pentium has a heating problem - try cooling it with ice cold
water.(Do not turn off your computer, you do not want to cool down the
Pentium Chip while he isn't working, do you?)
http://blog.psych0tik.net