screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Current screen HEAD can't reattach to a detached scre

From: Sadrul Habib Chowdhury
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Current screen HEAD can't reattach to a detached screen 4.0.3
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 12:47:59 -0500

2011/10/8 Axel Beckert <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently preparing an upload of the current screen HEAD to Debian
> (either Unstable or Experimental, not yet decided) and I noticed that,
> if I have a screen 4.0.3 (as currently in Debian Stable/Unstable) is
> running, I can't reattach to that with the new screen 4.1.0 snapshot,
> it just hangs until I kill it with "kill -TERM" as Ctrl-C does not
> help.
>
> As for me the common way to dist-upgrade Debian or Ubuntu boxes
> (especially remote servers) is to run the whole process inside a
> screen, this is a quite critical issue. So I wonder:
>
> Is this issue known? Not circumventable? An unexpected bug? Anyone has
> an idea where this comes from? Or does it not happen at all with vanilla
> screen versions?

Hi! Sorry for the late reply. :-(

This is a know and expected issue. The way the screen 'server' and the
screen 'client'/'display' communicate has changed slightly, and so a
newer (4.1.0) screen 'client'/'display' won't be able to communicate
with an older (4.0.3) screen 'server' process. Unfortunately, there
isn't a workaround for this.

Sadrul