screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Current screen HEAD can't reattach to a detached scre

From: Axel Beckert
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Current screen HEAD can't reattach to a detached screen 4.0.3
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 19:11:40 +0100

Hi Sadrul,

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 12:47:59PM -0500, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury wrote:
> 2011/10/8 Axel Beckert <address@hidden>:
> > I'm currently preparing an upload of the current screen HEAD to Debian
> > (either Unstable or Experimental, not yet decided) and I noticed that,
> > if I have a screen 4.0.3 (as currently in Debian Stable/Unstable) is
> > running, I can't reattach to that with the new screen 4.1.0 snapshot,
> > it just hangs until I kill it with "kill -TERM" as Ctrl-C does not
> > help.
> >
> > As for me the common way to dist-upgrade Debian or Ubuntu boxes
> > (especially remote servers) is to run the whole process inside a
> > screen, this is a quite critical issue. So I wonder:
> >
> > Is this issue known? Not circumventable? An unexpected bug? Anyone has
> > an idea where this comes from? Or does it not happen at all with vanilla
> > screen versions?
>
> Hi! Sorry for the late reply. :-(

Better late than never. So thanks for replying! :-)

> This is a know and expected issue. The way the screen 'server' and the
> screen 'client'/'display' communicate has changed slightly, and so a
> newer (4.1.0) screen 'client'/'display' won't be able to communicate
> with an older (4.0.3) screen 'server' process. Unfortunately, there
> isn't a workaround for this.

That's what I feared. :-(

There's no chance for a command line option (something like e.g.
--legacy-server) to let the client communicate with a 4.0.3 server?
That would probably help a lot for the migration.

                Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | address@hidden  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.asciiribbon.org/              | address@hidden (Mail+Jabber)
/ \  I love long mails: http://email.is-not-s.ms/ | http://noone.org/abe/ (Web)