Re: Spam message when using CVS for webpages

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: Spam message when using CVS for webpages
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 07:08:37 +0000

On Thu, Oct 19, 2023 at 11:04:42AM +0000, Ineiev wrote:
> I can think of adding a command like 'offer-source' to sv_membersh,
> with a message on the page where the users register their SSH keys.
> that would reasonably guarantee the awareness for the new users,
> but the existing users rarely change their SSH keys. clearing all
> SSH keys in Savannah would make Savannah admins unable to use them
> for recovering lost accounts. of course, we could save a reserved
> copy, but the need for the users to re-fill their keys would alone
> be quite annoying.

Historically, AGPLv1 (created by Affero and approved by the FSF [0])
only required ([1], Section 2d) that existing opportunities
to request transmission of the source code be preserved.  AGPLv3
Section 13 [2] removed that condition and said that any modified
version must offer the corresponding source code.

So I wonder what was AGPL author's intention:

* Is this kind of indirection acceptable at all?  I mean,
  technically, it wouldn't be the script that prominently offers all
  its users the source code, but the directions on how to get
  the source code are placed at the web page where keys needed
  to use that script are registered.

* Is it acceptable to only notify new users and those who update
  their registered keys?  if yes, we could avoid forcing all
  Savannah users re-register their keys just to make sure they saw
  the notice about how to get the source code.

[0] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#AGPLv1.0
[1] https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/License:AGPL-1.0-only
[2] https://www.gnu.org/l/agpl-3.0.txt