Re: Spam message when using CVS for webpages

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: Spam message when using CVS for webpages
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 11:04:42 +0000

On Thu, Oct 19, 2023 at 11:16:06AM +0100, Gavin Smith wrote:

> I proposed that the program could offer the source via some kind of
> messaging service on the Savannah web portal that users would be
> guaranteed to be aware of and have access to, in order to satisfy the
> AGPL requirements. There could be an entry in the side menu like
> "Automatic notices" along with the number of unread notices.
>
> sv_membersh together with what helper scripts or programs are
> providing the notifications would be considered a single unit that is
> providing its notifications in accordance with the AGPL.

First, Savane has no messaging service, it relies on email;
more important, I'm not sure how to guarantee the awareness.

sv_membersh could send the offer via email, but then it would have
to depend on that additional service (if I'm not mistaken, hosts
like download0 currently don't use it); then, having emails
on every VCS network transaction wouldn't be better than what we
have now.

I can think of adding a command like 'offer-source' to sv_membersh,
with a message on the page where the users register their SSH keys.
that would reasonably guarantee the awareness for the new users,
but the existing users rarely change their SSH keys. clearing all
SSH keys in Savannah would make Savannah admins unable to use them
for recovering lost accounts. of course, we could save a reserved
copy, but the need for the users to re-fill their keys would alone
be quite annoying.