Re: Moving an existing project from SourceForge to Savannah.

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Moving an existing project from SourceForge to Savannah.
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 15:55:05 -0600

Ineiev wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > I would thus like to move the project from SourceForge to Savannah.  May
> > I take it this would be acceptable and welcomed?
>
> Yes; it's nice to see software migrating to more user-respecting
> forges,
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html

+1!  It will be good to see you using Savannah.  We are happy to help
with the process.

> > Looking at the Savannah site, there are a couple of things which confuse
> > me.  I couldn't find a definition of what is meant by "group".  It seems
> > to mean the name of a project (in my case, "CC Mode") and/or the Linux
> > file-system group name under which project files will be stored
> > ("cc-mode").
>
> The "project" is a type of group; other group types hosted on Savannah
> include GNU User Groups, www.gnu.org portions and www.gnu.org translation
> teams.

In deep detail there are project types defined in the SQL database and
there are Unix groups defined in the database that are real Unix
groups to the system for file access permissions.  Therefore "group"
in that case means both things.  But you can think of it as the
classic Unix group and that will be accurate.  Files are stored on
disk accessible by file group permission.

> > I would also like to preserve the project's mailing list, if possible.

+1!  Preserving history is important.

> > I have a copy of posts going back to 2001 on my own machine, I don't
> > know if it will be possible to extract a more complete copy from
> > SourceForge.  Do you see any problems, here?  Currently, the main
> > mailing address for this list is bug-cc-mode@gnu.org, and the gnu server
> > forwards the mail to the SourceForge address.  I foresee this address
> > remaining the main address for the list, relocated back to Savannah.
>
> I think you can use your old mailing list or migrate to lists.gnu.org.

I presume without looking that the old mailing list was hosted on
SourceForge.  And from past experience there I know they don't make
accessing the files there easy.  In which case it would be easier to
use your archive of the mailing list.  Off the top of my head I don't
know the recipe to do the mailing list archive import but I generally
know and would work it out when the time comes to do it.

> > What about old releases?  How much point is there, trying to preserve
> > these?  SourceForge still has releases going back around 20 years, to
> > release 5.26.  Current (three years old) is 5.35.  They do not take up
> > much space (around 700 kByte each).  The older releases must be presumed
> > lost.
>
> You'll be able to upload them to Savannah download area.

+1

Bob