Re: Moving an existing project from SourceForge to Savannah.

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: Moving an existing project from SourceForge to Savannah.
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 17:13:22 +0000

Hello, Alan;

On Tue, Jul 25, 2023 at 10:55:30AM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> I would thus like to move the project from SourceForge to Savannah.  May
> I take it this would be acceptable and welcomed?

Yes; it's nice to see software migrating to more user-respecting
forges,

https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html

> Looking at the Savannah site, there are a couple of things which confuse
> me.  I couldn't find a definition of what is meant by "group".  It seems
> to mean the name of a project (in my case, "CC Mode") and/or the Linux
> file-system group name under which project files will be stored
> ("cc-mode").

The "project" is a type of group; other group types hosted on Savannah
include GNU User Groups, www.gnu.org portions and www.gnu.org translation
teams.

> Also, there is on the page "register" an opportunity to give a *.tar.gz
> URL or upload a file to Savannah.  What is this tarball?  Is it a
> tarball  of an existing repository, or just of the project's source
> files?

It's a release of source files; we use it to see if the registered
package follows our hosting requirements.

> I would also like to preserve the project's mailing list, if possible.
> I have a copy of posts going back to 2001 on my own machine, I don't
> know if it will be possible to extract a more complete copy from
> SourceForge.  Do you see any problems, here?  Currently, the main
> mailing address for this list is bug-cc-mode@gnu.org, and the gnu server
> forwards the mail to the SourceForge address.  I foresee this address
> remaining the main address for the list, relocated back to Savannah.

I think you can use your old mailing list or migrate to lists.gnu.org.

> What about old releases?  How much point is there, trying to preserve
> these?  SourceForge still has releases going back around 20 years, to
> release 5.26.  Current (three years old) is 5.35.  They do not take up
> much space (around 700 kByte each).  The older releases must be presumed
> lost.

You'll be able to upload them to Savannah download area.