Moving an existing project from SourceForge to Savannah.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Moving an existing project from SourceForge to Savannah.
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:55:30 +0000

Hello, Savannah.

I maintain the project CC Mode, part of Emacs (and also XEmacs), which
is currently hosted at SourceForge.

SourceForge has recently introduced a so-called "privacy" statement, to
which I cannot assent.  In consequence, they will not let me log onto
the web site.  This has made my maintenance work, such as releasing a
release, difficult, if it is at all possible.

I would thus like to move the project from SourceForge to Savannah.  May
I take it this would be acceptable and welcomed?  I already have an
account, acmacm, on Savannah, and contribute fairly often to the Emacs
project.

Looking at the Savannah site, there are a couple of things which confuse
me.  I couldn't find a definition of what is meant by "group".  It seems
to mean the name of a project (in my case, "CC Mode") and/or the Linux
file-system group name under which project files will be stored
("cc-mode").

Also, there is on the page "register" an opportunity to give a *.tar.gz
URL or upload a file to Savannah.  What is this tarball?  Is it a
tarball  of an existing repository, or just of the project's source
files?

I am assuming at the moment that I can quite easily upload the project's
(mercurial) repository onto Savannah.

I would also like to preserve the project's mailing list, if possible.
I have a copy of posts going back to 2001 on my own machine, I don't
know if it will be possible to extract a more complete copy from
SourceForge.  Do you see any problems, here?  Currently, the main
mailing address for this list is bug-cc-mode@gnu.org, and the gnu server
forwards the mail to the SourceForge address.  I foresee this address
remaining the main address for the list, relocated back to Savannah.

What about old releases?  How much point is there, trying to preserve
these?  SourceForge still has releases going back around 20 years, to
release 5.26.  Current (three years old) is 5.35.  They do not take up
much space (around 700 kByte each).  The older releases must be presumed
lost.

Any further tips you could give me about moving from SourceForge to
Savannah would be welcome.

Thanks for the anticipated help!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).