Re: [Savannah-help-public] missing SSL cert from savannah site

From: Jon
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] missing SSL cert from savannah site
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 22:32:52 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:
I think the thing to do would be to convince Mozilla to include CAcert root certificate in Firefox.

Someone said that this was already being worked on.
If additional support from us would help, we would be glad to give it.
Can you find out who we should talk to?

I don't know anyone at the Savannah project. I just periodically come across (well minded) free software projects (GIMP being hte latest other).

I have offered to pay for a valid SSL cert (as this has been going on with CAcerts and neither IE or Mozilla including for around 5 years). I doubt it will change in the next 3 years. So paying for a SSL cert seems the best option

Much better than trying to convince users to install the SSL cert. They only see the message after they have already had all the error popups and then not bothered to continue..

We're going to change the setup of pages so as to inform the user
just when the issue arises.

Well that is a workaround in the current vein. Getting a valid SSL cert (which works with IE and Firefox) is the best solution. I know this will come back again within 3yrs and CAcert still not in Firefox and IE..

Regards, Jon