Re: [Savannah-hackers] Naming our sourceforge clone (was Re: Savannah an

From: Joel N. Weber II
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Naming our sourceforge clone (was Re: Savannah and non-GNU software)
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 23:39:23 -0500

   On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 03:30:15PM +0100, Guillaume Morin wrote:
   > Dans un message du 24 mar ` 12:16, address@hidden icrivait :
   > >        gplsource.org
   > >        savannah.org
   > >        freefoundry.org
   > >
   > >        Votes ?
   >
   > We should maybe set up on poll using the sourceforge interface on

   Only if you want it to take a *long* time to answer this question. =)

Also, choices made by intelligent, thoughtful individuals are often
better than choices made by crowds.  For example, a poll might result
in choosing a name which sounds good but happens to have no particular
political connotations, whereas someone might delibrately choose a
name based upon it having some desireable political connotation, since
people will use savannah regardless of whether they happen to like the
sound of its name just a little bit or a lot, and if the name has a
political connation, it may reinforce a particular message every time
someone uses the site.