rule-list

Re: [RULE] RULE minimum hw requirements

From: Rodolfo J. Paiz
Subject: Re: [RULE] RULE minimum hw requirements
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:33:24 -0600

At 10:32 2/20/2004, you wrote:
Almost surely yes. However, the RULE minimum target is a moving one,
and it is really pragmatic. 386, 12/16 are not mystical numbers to
defend blindly. They basically mean "what is the oldest, more limited
and crappiest hw *still* *working* and being donated that, with a
reasonable amount of effort, common sense and good will can be
reactivated, to delay expense and pollution?".

And an interesting corollary to keep in mind is: at what point do we reasonably expect to drop 386 and move the minimum to 486. Since things like HD/RAM and the whole platform changes, that one evolutionary step will reduce somewhat the demands of supporting stuff that has by then become truly ancient. But when will "then" be?

Not advocating a sooner or later here, just wondering. Since we're being mystical, of course.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
address@hidden