rule-list

Re: [Rule-list] Need for an application database

From: Rodolfo J. Paiz
Subject: Re: [Rule-list] Need for an application database
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 12:46:18 -0600

At 4/6/2002 01:18 AM +0200, you wrote:
http://www.puretec.de/ Sadly, they serve only to Germany (avoiding the
hassle of getting their money from foreign countries). Oh, of course
that's their per-month price, to be paid one year in advance, if you
already host your webspace or server with them.

Oh, that's different. I'm paying $12/year to BulkRegister in the USA and have been quite happy with them, but they do have an $80 setup fee for your account to discourage people who only have one or two domains. No hosting or other services (good AFAIAC, don't want them distracted).

> 1. I prefer the rule-project.org name as proposed.

I prefer rule-linux.org - we are working on Linux here, the name should
reflect that. Furthermore, this will give us better search engine
ranking.

Fine by me... I'll go with the flow.

> 3. We should have rule-project.org and proyecto-rule.org and
> projeto-rule.org and one in each language. These can then lead to the
> properly translated websites.

This increases costs and could lead to confusion if two languages have
the exact same writing for "project". I prefer country codes and
subdomains:
en.rule-linux.org, de.rule-linux.org es.rule-linux.org (the ISO language
codes, *not* the county codes)

Your idea is better, and cheaper. Therefore *much* better. :)

I disagree: Having more than one name will make it easier to find us! I
don't think anyone would be confused - they see only one domain!

Again, no big deal to me. Not convinced from your point of view, but certainly have no objection.

Agreed. Now we have to pick the name(s). Suggestions beyond
rule-linux.org and rule-project.org?

Those two seem to pretty much have the majority votes.

I think we should get the corresponding .com, too.

Great if we can do it. For my own domains, I always try to get the full com/net/org just because I prefer it that way. No real need, of course.

Translations might want to use the fitting country TLD,
for Germany that would be rule.linux.de and rule-projekt.de.

This I do not think is a good idea. Those get expensive, and now you're *really* talking about a boatload of domains. Better just "de.rule-project.org" and "de.rule-linux.org" which cost us nothing.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
address@hidden