[rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup file consistency

From: shorvath
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup file consistency
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 13:02:43 -0700

Hi and thanks for the replies.

Florian, you mention you use rdiff-backup (for max 20G) and rsync for larger.
Is it not recommended to use rdiff-backup on large backups?  Mine are several
Tb's with possible gb's daily increments.
Would it be recommend to stick to rsync?
How about backuppc?
What are your thoughts/comments/suggestions regarding that?

I backup several servers to a local backup server (daily,weekly, monthly) and
then sync that offsite.
Currently each local backup is checksummed, xfered offsite and checksummed
again.
We have a set of scripts that rsyncs, rotates, reports and checksums but
unfortunately they are very inefficient and are just not up to the job.
I have the choice of rewriting them from scratch or use something that's
already been written (rsnapshot, rdiff-backup, backuppc)
All are much more efficient than anything I could come up with so why reinvent
the wheel?
I just need to decide on one that does, at the very least, what we're currently
doing (albeit not very well)

As for ram errors...All our servers have ecc ram.
For bit errors... I'm VERY tempted to take the plunge into the zfs on linux
project but despite the many good reports on stability, as this is a production
service, I'm nervous.