Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup file consistency

From: Florian Kaiser
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup file consistency
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 16:10:09 +0200

Datum: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 08:54:00 -0500, Robert Nichols
> That is dangerously misleading.
>
> A) The test only verifies that the files that existed at TIME can be
>     restored to their state at that time.  Such a restoral might or
>     might not make use of all the intermediate increments between the
>     current mirror and the given TIME.
>
> B) There is no test that a restore to any other time can be performed
>     without error.  The only checksum that is verified is the one for
>     the given TIME.  The only mirror_metadata file (which is where the
>     checksums are stored) that is read is the one for the given TIME.
>     The mirror_metadata files for other times could be corrupted or
>     missing, and no error will be reported.

Thank you very much for clarification, I do see that I highly
misintepreted the function and overestimated the verification process
rdiff-backup offers. I also thought that rdiff-backup always needs all
intermediate increments to restore a file, thus thinking if I can
verify at oldest state, I also verify that nothing in between is
corrupt. I guess I was wrong then.

That said, I understand the only way to actually verify all increments
is to subsequently call verify-at TIME  for all given TIMES you have
increments for. Is that correct? It does not really sound
thought-through and I guess it is a very time consuming process, even
on small to midsized repositories given the typical amount of
increments is likely to be 30 days or more.

Regards
Florian