Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup file consistency

From: Marian 'VooDooMan' Meravy
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup file consistency
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 12:28:19 +0200

Hi Robert,

On 6. 6. 2012 17:43, Robert Nichols wrote:
> [...]
> The way I handle it for the dailys is that once a week I do a verify for
> each of the 8 most recent daily backups.  That is enough to verity that the
> most recent part of the increments chain merges properly with the older
> increments.  I do this as part of a weekly process that synchronizes my
> "active" backup drive with another drive that is kept in more secure
> storage.  What I've found is that on a quad-core machine I can run 8
> simultaneous "rdiff-backup --verify-at-time" processes in almost exactly
> the
> same time that it takes to run a single verify.  The commonality of file
> access means that one process has to wait for the disk drive to read a
> block, but the other 7 processes find that block already in the kernel's
> cache.  For the most part, the 8 processes stay beautifully in sync.
>
> [...]

Thank you very much, I was not aware of "--verify-at-time". And if I
were, I would not guess that actually I can run more than one checks at
a time without cost of kernel blocking due to I/O, because I just have
not realised that it is all actually in the cache, when running
simultaneously.

Once again, thank you for the suggestions, I have updated my scripts :-).

Best,
vdm
.