[rdiff-backup-users] comments about rdiff-backup

From: Faheem Mitha
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] comments about rdiff-backup
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:19:56 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I've just started using rdiff-backup. I've had a few difficulties, but nothing major. I thought I would make a few comments about these.

I've being trying to set up remote unattended backups using Dean Gaudet's writeup, including use of LVM snapshots. This seems to work Ok for the most part. However, I did some stress testing by having rdiff-backup do backups of big changes at 5 min intervals.

This predictably means that (since the previous job has not completed) at some point two different instances of rdiff-backup will be running and trying to write to the same directory. Perhaps problems were to be expected and in fact rdiff-backup produced errors and appeared to lose data.

I managed to work around this by having the script check whether the LVM snapshot were mounted first, since this would mean the previous backups were still in progress. However, I wonder whether it would not be possible for rdiff-backup to detect that another rdiff-backup process was writing to the same directory and exit gracefully? Perhaps this would be difficult to do in a portable way.

Secondly, I noticed that the --remove-older-than option removes files in the increments directory, but does not touch any of the log and statistics files that are generated, eg session_statistics, error_log, mirror_metadata etc.

Would it not be reasonable for this command to remove all these files for the relevant dates as well? If not, what is the recommended way to remove these files?

Thirdly, when using --remove-older-than, if there are no increments that need to be removed, I see a message, apparently on standard error, saying something like

"No increments older than Tue Nov 22 11:46:48 2005 found, exiting."

Isn't this somewhat unnecessary? This seems hardly to merit a message at all, let alone one on standard error.

Thanks for reading. I look forward to hearing back. Please cc me on any reply. Thanks.

                                                                 Faheem.