Re: [rdiff-backup-users] comments about rdiff-backup

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] comments about rdiff-backup
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:46:51 -0600

> I managed to work around this by having the script check whether the
> LVM snapshot were mounted first, since this would mean the previous
> backups were still in progress. However, I wonder whether it would
> not be possible for rdiff-backup to detect that another rdiff-backup
> process was writing to the same directory and exit gracefully?
> Perhaps this would be difficult to do in a portable way.

The development version writes its PID to the current_mirror file in
the backup repository.  Some future version should check that PID and
abort if the process is still running (unless you run --force or
something)

> Secondly, I noticed that the --remove-older-than option removes files in
> the increments directory, but does not touch any of the log and statistics
> files that are generated, eg session_statistics, error_log,
> mirror_metadata etc.

Are you sure it doesn't remove those?  It seems to from a few quick
tests I did.  In fact, I just found a bug, if you pick a time later
than the current mirror time it will delete those too :-(

> Thirdly, when using --remove-older-than, if there are no increments that
> need to be removed, I see a message, apparently on standard error, saying
> something like
>
> "No increments older than Tue Nov 22 11:46:48 2005 found, exiting."
>
> Isn't this somewhat unnecessary? This seems hardly to merit a message at
> all, let alone one on standard error.

Ok, I'll remove that message.