Re: [rdiff-backup-users] comments about rdiff-backup

From: Faheem Mitha
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] comments about rdiff-backup
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:11:53 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Faheem Mitha wrote:

Secondly, I noticed that the --remove-older-than option removes files in
the increments directory, but does not touch any of the log and statistics
files that are generated, eg session_statistics, error_log,
mirror_metadata etc.

Are you sure it doesn't remove those?  It seems to from a few quick
tests I did.  In fact, I just found a bug, if you pick a time later
than the current mirror time it will delete those too :-(

Pretty sure. I've been doing extensive testing. However, I'm running the current Debian version in Sarge, namely 1.0.1. Is it possible this is something that has been fixed recently?

In any case, if you can point me to the code that removes the log/statistics files in the code (I looked in 1.0.1 but could not find anything) then that would be very helpful.

Hmm, now looking in 1.1.2, but can't see anything there either.

Ok, further info.

I have two test backups running every 5 minutes. I have it set to clear out everything more than an hr old.

I enabled the one hr removal after the backups had been running for a while, and it does not clear the log and statistics files in that case.

I am not sure whether it cleared the increments.

However, I deleted one on the backups and restarted it with the 1 hr removal enabled, and now it is deleting the log/statistics files correctly.

It looks to me like there is a bug somewhere.

                                                               Faheem.