Re: [RP] Re: the continuing quest for no rodent dependence

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: [RP] Re: the continuing quest for no rodent dependence
Date: Sat Jul 5 13:08:09 2003

> XFree86 has it built in. alt-numlock or shift-numlock enables it i
> think, the number pad acts like a mouse then and you can click with
> various keys.

Nice stuff, but this isn't what I was asking about.  I specifically
do not want to control the location of the on-screen pointer.

> 'screen' combined with a utility such as 'xclip' will allow cut-n-paste
> with just the keyboard in a terminal app, although it would be nice if
> xterm supported it nativly.

This application is apparently not useful for cutting and pasting from
e.g. Emacs to the terminal or vice versa without using the mouse in some
fashion first.

> see the XTEST extension for a good way to simulate fake keyboard/mouse
> events from an application.

Maybe this thing in combination with the source code for xclip will get
me going on an app that will help. But I don't think this is really the
best way to go.  My primary interest here is not in controlling the
mouse with the keyboard: instead I want to control the disposition of
the text cache that is interfaced with by the mouse.

Joe