Re: [RP] Spam & Bugs

From: Dylan Evans
Subject: Re: [RP] Spam & Bugs
Date: Mon Dec 9 22:57:02 2002

--- Shawn Betts <address@hidden> wrote:
> Shawn Betts <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Dylan Evans <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > I signed up to this list a few days ago with my
> real
> > > email address, in that time i've had more spam
> > > forwarded to me than in the past six months.
> (yeah
> > > it's pretty pure). Anyway it's too annoying so
> now i'm
> > > subscribing with this fake yahoo address which i
> never
> > > check.
> >
> > Just recently there seems to be a surge of SPAM on
> this list. It used
> > to be about 1 a month or less. I'm not sure why.
> And I don't think
> > there's much I can do...any suggestions?
> >

> > > Now onto ratpoison, i like it, but it dumps
> monster
> > > cores on freebsd 4.3 release when putenv is
> called
> > > unchecked in the spawn function of actions.c.
> The fix
> > > is simple, just put a check in like
> > >
> > > if(!getenv("DISPLAY"))
> > > putenv(current_screen()->display_string);
> > >
> > > This refers to the release code, although i
> checked
> > > the cvs code i couldn't get it configured in a
> > > reasonable amount of time.
> >
> > Thanks Dylan. I'll look at CVS. I believe there
> have been some changes
> > surrounding that bit of code.
>
> Ok,
>
> So I patched up CVS, but I don't have a FreeBSD box
> to test on. Can
> you test it? Or can someone else with such a box?
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

Right autogen.sh, i'll work out this autoconf thing
one day :P.
Anyway the cvs code worked without a problem,
commented the check and it still crashes. Seems to be
a few bugs around putenv in freebsd,couldn't figure
out which one this was or if it's been solved in a
newer version.

Any thoughts about writting an interpreter routine and
calling execvp directly instead of via /bin/sh? Sure
it works but it just seems a bit of overkill when the
same could be done with a few pages of code.

As far as the spammers go, i suppose you could warn
them and ban them if they keep it up, i assume there
is a way to ban them.

Thanks,
Dylan.