qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Making qemu use 10.0.3.x not 10.0.2.x

From: Eddie Kohler
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Making qemu use 10.0.3.x not 10.0.2.x
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 08:16:05 -0800

Warner Losh wrote:
From: Andreas Färber <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 13:58:28 +0100

Am 05.02.2008 um 12:30 schrieb Ian Jackson:

I don't believe that 10.0.2.0/24 was chosen randomly :-).  It would be
better for qemu's default range to be a randomly chosen one.
Please don't randomly choose a default subnet; knowing that QEMU uses 10.0.2.x allows to adapt to this. If however QEMU starts randomly assigning addresses we will also get random conflicts.

Please stick with a default like the current and simply make it statically configurable.

I think that the suggestion is that qemu picks, one time, a new
default.  This new default would be selected at random, and would be
the same on all new versions of qemu.

I don't think that the suggestion is to pick a random address every
time qemu starts.

I already have some scripts that depend on the 10.0.2.x default -- probably others do too. Would changing to a different subnet by default really make that much difference? 10.0.2.x is, after all, a possible "random" choice :)

Eddie