qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Making qemu use 10.0.3.x not 10.0.2.x

From: Ben Taylor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Making qemu use 10.0.3.x not 10.0.2.x
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 16:22:06 -0500

---- Asheesh Laroia <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Ben Taylor wrote:
>
> > It seems to me that there is a corner case where the local host has a
> > 10.0.2.x or 10.0.x.x address which would cause a qemu guest problems
> > that has a 10.0.2.15 address (for -net user only).
>
> That's right - that's the issue that I faced.

I've run into that before too..

> > I think the default should be left at 10.0.2.x, and if the localhost has
> > a 10.0.x.x address, then one of the other ranges (172.16.x.x or
> > 192.168.x.x) could be used.
>
> I would go one step further: Make the default *always* 10.0.2.x,

It is.

> but make
> it configurable on the command line.  That way, there are no surprises
> ever.  The rare people like me with an issue can just pass a command-line
> parameter in.

The point I was trying to make is that qemu could easily arbitrate the guest
network based on how the host is configured.  If the host has a 10.0.x.x
network (and I suppose if we want to be thorough, a 10.0.x.x route), then
it punts to 172.16.x.x (and does the same check) and then tries a couple
of 192.168.x.x networks.

Eventually the guest gets a local network that won't conflict with the user's
network infrastructure.

Obviously, if you have a 10.0.x.x, a 172.16.x.x and a 192.168.x.x network,
having a configurable guest network is probably loads simpler.

Ben