qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Making qemu use 10.0.3.x not 10.0.2.x

From: Ben Taylor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Making qemu use 10.0.3.x not 10.0.2.x
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 12:42:19 -0500

---- Warner Losh <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: Andreas Färber <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Making qemu use 10.0.3.x not 10.0.2.x
> Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 13:58:28 +0100
>

> > Am 05.02.2008 um 12:30 schrieb Ian Jackson:
> >
> > > I don't believe that 10.0.2.0/24 was chosen randomly :-).  It would be
> > > better for qemu's default range to be a randomly chosen one.
> >
> > Please don't randomly choose a default subnet; knowing that QEMU uses
> > 10.0.2.x allows to adapt to this. If however QEMU starts randomly
> > assigning addresses we will also get random conflicts.
> >
> > Please stick with a default like the current and simply make it
> > statically configurable.
>
> I think that the suggestion is that qemu picks, one time, a new
> default.  This new default would be selected at random, and would be
> the same on all new versions of qemu.
>
> I don't think that the suggestion is to pick a random address every
> time qemu starts.

It seems to me that there is a corner case where the local host has
a 10.0.2.x or 10.0.x.x address which would cause a qemu guest
problems that has a 10.0.2.15 address (for -net user only).

I think the default should be left at 10.0.2.x, and if the localhost has
a 10.0.x.x address, then one of the other ranges (172.16.x.x or
192.168.x.x) could be used.

For the most part, it doesn't make any difference to the host because
you don't use the 10.0.2.x address from the host, and only the guest
is affected IFF running DHCP.

Ben