pupa-devel

Re: PowerPC port of PUPA

From: Johan Rydberg
Subject: Re: PowerPC port of PUPA
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 02:28:46 +0100

Marco Gerards <address@hidden> wrote:

: > Is there a reason for not having builtins?  Is it to eliminate the need
: > for functions such as memcpy() and puts() (they do not live in the PUPA
: > namespace) ?
:
: Well, this make me think about another problem that I completely
: haven't considered: You use alloca in your code.

There are two solutions for this.  Either use __builtin_alloca directly
(which should still be available even with -fno-builtins.) or write a
alloca() function yourself.  I really don't like the latter.  It is
"too" low-level, even for a bootloader, and might break things with new
versions of GCC (even thou I suspect that things like alloca is put in
some standard somewhere.)

--
Johan Rydberg, Free Software Developer, Sweden
http://rtmk.sf.net | http://www.nongnu.org/guss/

Playing Boards Of Canada - Sequoia