pupa-devel

Re: Normal mode patch

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Normal mode patch
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 00:04:12 +0100

On Wednesday 07 January 2004 21:13, Marco Gerards wrote:
> Well, Marcus is not really stupid.  I know the console code (server
> and client) in detail and I must say it is quite nice.  What do you
> mean with i18n support?  Is this UTF-8?  If that is what you mean,
> UTF-8 (and other encodings) are supported.

Marcus is not stupid at all. But he wants to work only for European
languages. This is the problem I want to mean.

BTW, when I say "i18n" in the context of PUPA, I mean PUPA must support
all of these:

* One can write a config file in her native language.
* One can display her native language on the screen.
* One can see messages translated into her native language.
* One can use filesystems which contain file names written in her native
language.

> You can use use 512 characters, in that case you will have less
> colors.

Yes, but it is not acceptable.

> About the Hurd console, it has plug-in support so you can load a
> framebuffer driver for example.

It does not help us to make PUPA better. The plug-in support itself is a
good thing, though.

> Well, I just mentioned it because I personally like it (Please notice
> that I only use English, Dutch, Esperanto and German so I won't need
> that many characters).  Please report the problems you have with the
> Hurd console.  What about adding some tasks related to i18n support?

I have no problem, as I use X anyway. :p

> Oh, yes!  This really bothers me about bug-grub, all those bug
> reports from suse/redhat users who have problems with suse/redhat
> features.

When you see such a report, just show this URL to the reporter:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.en.html#q0

I think it is a waste of time to reply seriously to those who don't read
even the FAQ.

Okuji