pupa-devel

Re: Normal mode patch

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Normal mode patch
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 14:07:29 +0100

I forgot to answer this issue...

On Wednesday 31 December 2003 18:24, Marco Gerards wrote:
> gianluca (I don't remember his real name) told me on IRC that it
> crashes whenever the console scrolls.  I was able to reproduce this.
> It is not clear what still needs to be done to get the graphics
> console to work.  If it is not a lot of work I can do that, I have
> quite some experience with VGA programming.

You are right. There is a big problem when scrolling the menu. Probably
it is due to a wrong calculation of a memory pointer, but I'm not sure
where it is. As you see, the code is a bit ugly, so it might be better
to clean up the code more or less before diving into the problem
seriously.

What is difficult here is that once the bug appears, your console
becomes almost useless. So using a serial interface or somehow
extending bochs would be necessary. bochs + gdb is generally a good
solution, but I'm afraid that this combination is unusable with PUPA,
because PUPA uses dynamic modules at run time.

Once this kind of bugs are fixed, I'm really interested in making a very
fancy menu interface using VGA or VESA. This would make the unofficial
graphics patch for GRUB completely obsolete. :)

Okuji