pspp-dev

Re: pspp development

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: pspp development
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 06:59:04 +0800

On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 08:25:50AM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     OK.  Unless Jason strongly disagrees, then it's time to start
     talking about #2.

     Here's a pointer to my proposal about this in 2004, and the
     followups I found interesting:
             http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pspp-dev/2004-12/msg00026.html
             http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pspp-dev/2004-12/msg00027.html
             http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pspp-dev/2004-12/msg00028.html

     Any new comments about that proposed structure?

It might be worth re-drafting that proposal, since we've moved on a
bit in the last 12 months anyway. I'm not sure what Jason's plans are
with lib/linreg  --- I'd assumed that lib/linreg was supposed to be a
general purpose linear regression library which could be applied to
any software.  But I note that there are some very PSPP specific
things there now (eg: #include "var.h").

I take it your plan would be to have each directory compiled as a
static library, and linked into the binary at the end?  And what about
header file search paths?  Currently, *every* file in *every*
directory searches *every* directory for it's *.h #includes.  IMHO
this is wrong, and would be cumbersome for such a large number of
directories. So this would need to be thought about.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3