pspp-dev

Re: pspp development

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: pspp development
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 08:25:50 -0800

> On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 10:35:35PM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>      I'll summarize your summary, which I agree with.  The order and
>      the certainty of each of the steps to undertake is this:
>
>          1. Switch to GNU Arch, maybe.
>
>          2. Reorganize the directory structure, probably.
>
>          3. Integrate psppire, for sure.
>
>      The only one I'm really concerned about is #1.  I haven't used
>      Arch much but I wasn't terribly impressed at the time.  Have
>      either of you used it more than that, and how do you feel about
>      it?
>
> I've never used it.  The manual made me terribly confused, so it'd be
> a bit of a learning curve for me.  A lot of people have said good
> things about it, but I think they're comparing to CVS which is hardly
> an ideal reference standard.
>
> My gut feeling is that unless we're sure we want to do down that path,
> then we should wait awhile.  Loosing continuity in the file history is
> a nuisance, but not the end of the world.

OK.  Unless Jason strongly disagrees, then it's time to start
talking about #2.

Here's a pointer to my proposal about this in 2004, and the
followups I found interesting:
        http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pspp-dev/2004-12/msg00026.html
        http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pspp-dev/2004-12/msg00027.html
        http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pspp-dev/2004-12/msg00028.html

Any new comments about that proposed structure?
--
"If a person keeps faithfully busy each hour of the working day, he
 can count on waking up some morning to find himself one of the