Re: [Protux-devel] autostuff problems ... really annoying me

From: Martin Herren
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] autostuff problems ... really annoying me
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 11:13:41 +0200

Luciano Giordana wrote:
Sorry by being so rude and honest here guy, but sometimes autostuff really annoys me !

Why I never get the autostuff "lightly" usable here ?

i'd like to help you on this, the problem is that i just can't reproduce the problems you get. Since last revision of autostuff, i never had a problem with it, nor when installing it on some friends computers, it always compiled and ran out of the box. You are sure you used a clean unmodified CVS checkout ? I think autostuff works well as long as you don't try to modify the generated Makefiles (and other generated files). If you need to modify something, you have to do it through ./configure options.

look :

I still have to manually remove "maybe_build_source" references from all makefiles, otherwise I cannot make install

i recursively greped after 'maybe_build_source' in both my libmustux and protux trees and this reference just doesn't exist here...

when protux is in the linking stage : this is the command executed :

/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link ccache g++ -I/usr/lib/qt3//include

what did you modify to get ccache to be used ?

-DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I/usr/local/include -D_REENTRANT -g -O2 -o protux Audio.o AudioClip.o AudioSourcesList.o BusMonitor.o BusSelector.o ColorManager.o CursorManager.o DevelGuardian.o FileBrowser.o GlobalProperties.o GlobalPropertiesDialog.o Help.o Interface.o Main.o Mixer.o MtaRegion.o Peak.o Project.o ProjectManager.o Protux.o Song.o SongPropertiesDialog.o Spectrogram.o SplashScreen.o Track.o TrackPanel.o MTP.o MTA.o SchemaParser.o InfoBox.o MtaRegionList.o BusMonitorMoc.o BusSelectorMoc.o CursorManagerMoc.o FileBrowserMoc.o GlobalPropertiesDialogMoc.o SongPropertiesDialogMoc.o InterfaceMoc.o MixerMoc.o PeakMoc.o ProjectMoc.o ProjectManagerMoc.o SongMoc.o SpectrogramMoc.o SplashScreenMoc.o TrackMoc.o -L/usr/lib/qt3//lib -lqt-mt -L/usr/local/lib -lmustux -lm -lasound -lm -ldl -lpthread -logg -lvorbis -lm -lvorbisfile -lvorbisenc filters/libprotuxfilters.a -lasound -lm -ldl -lpthread

it just dont work..
I get this error:

libtool: link: unable to infer tagged configuration
libtool: link: specify a tag with `--tag'

so I have to manually edit this big command so I get the linking done.

just to register: I have standard autostuff installed here, on a fresh Mandrake 10 installation. I checked out from CVS the tree, and can compile many packages. But not protux/libmustux...

I was wondering.. the autostuff just look too complicated. I compile many things here. I never get any problem. only with protux/libmustux. I am considering review this thing, since it is really annoying me ! :-(

RFC