Re: [Protux-devel] Bugreporting system

From: Luciano Giordana
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] Bugreporting system
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 05:19:47 -0200

> 1. The logo is still not working on my system. For some reason its
> half-cut. (just a small corner of it) showing. The photo has not changed
> since the last time I sent it. ..

not solving less-important bugs now... keep it on BL

> 2. If you compile W/O alsa, and try to run Protux, it just exits with a
> segmentation fault. it would be wise if it exited saying that it
> couldn't inicialize ALSA drivers or something similar to that. . . .
> This is temporary. But it tells you something about inicialization. It
> really should be a bit more wordy regarding errors, and things that it
> could not do. . . . My suggestion would be: we are going to have to
> implement a history window (especially when we have the UNDO funcions
> implemented right?). Why not a Device/Debug/Kernel-Protux History as
> well? That it constantly updates what Protux tried to do, and what it
> could or could not do and for what reason? It will make debuggin even
> more easy afterwords.

I plan to keep a stable OSS support ( so you can consider it a Bug), but it
will be only for simple playback and
recording . Actually, when user has OSS and not alsa, it will have a single
Bus, and everthing is routed to it

but it just remediative, ALSA is a requirement for protux now, so OSS problems
are less important than ALSA problems.

> 3. The percentage bar is still not working. I'm just pointing it out
> again because I didn't see it on the BL. Its how the Percentage bar is
> working during the import session. . . I think I sent of photo of this
> as well. . .

keep it on BL

> 4. This isn't actually a bug, its more of a correction. Protux isn't
> designed for KDE. Its designed for QT. . . . . I'm Running it under
> Gnome, and it works fine. Perhaps this is a good correction to make
> regarding the project. The reason for this is that you can run Protux
> under Fluxbox, or Gnome, XFCE, Blackbox, or anything like that and it
> will work fine. Whereas most of us (who are in the project) know that
> that's possible, most normal musicians or tecnicians won't get that
> right away, so the names do become a problem. It means that the
> prerequesites are actually
> 1. Professional/Good Soundcard, and equipament for recording.
> 2. A computer running GNU OS/XFree86 (Hey, who knows, perhaps one day we
> can run Protux from a GNU/Hurd machine, or GNU/FreeBSD workstation!!!!)

well,  Protux IS designed to GNU/Linux since it is based on ALSA (which is for
LInux)
but ALSA might be ported to Hurd someday, and it can be applyied to any other
OS

Anyway, I think this is a good idea to remove the word KDE from the website,
since it is not designed for KDE

> Also, for the wishlist. I'm not sure what we are planning to do with the
> other Function Keys (F-keys). But we could have it acess automatically
> all of the tabs in the File/Project Manager. . . . . Or perhaps have
> them be the save/load/undo/redo etc. . . keys. . . .

this is a design question :-)

regards