playogg-discuss

Re: [playogg-discuss] tinyvid.com?

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [playogg-discuss] tinyvid.com?
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 17:22:06 -0400

John Sullivan wrote:
> Have people tried http://tinyvid.tv/? Thoughts about it?

There are some design choices I would disagree with.  Their server
transcoding seems to be based solely on YouTube.  That means video
formats are being converted to FLV (a proprietary format) then
reconverted to Ogg Theora.  That means they're relying on a proprietary
codec, and that double lossy encoding will make Theora look bad
(literally and figuratively).

They also suggest Firefogg, but that's a client-side plug-in.  I'm sure
it's valuable, but I think a server-side solution is clearly needed as
well.  It's inevitable that not everyone will use Firefox (or even any
free browser), and even those that do won't be able to install plug-ins
everywhere.

I also don't see why they are using Facebook instead of a free framework
like OpenID.

Matt Flaschen