Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Synchronization support for phpGW - Draft

From: Brian Johnson
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Synchronization support for phpGW - Draft
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 04:42:18 +0000

I'm not certain that Palm OS PDAs use the vcalendar or vcard standards.  That
should
be investigated before making that assumption.

Even though most devices will transfer the entire record when a part of it has
changed (dirty), when you start looking at multi-table relationships like the
new
addressbook, it would be best to check all feilds for dirty and merge together
the
most up-to-date info prior to the device data sync

Just to reiterate, there are a couple of coldsync based conduits available for
review not referenced in your docs: one from me and one from skwashd.  And fixe
(Axisgroupware) has some phpgw coldsync control modules

I also have outlined a concept for linux based pdas to use ssh to establish
network
connections, and have the server take over syncing their data files that may be
useful

A lot of people have been anxiously awaiting a pda sync system.  For my own
reasons,
I hope you start with Palm OS PDAs (after all they are the PDA market leader).
However, you may find that different developers have their own idea about how
the
system should work.  I for one think that once the system is set up, required
user
intervention should be minimal for config and that conflict reports should be
emailed to the user and allow them to resolve the conflicts post sync instead of
pausing the sync to wait for a resolution.  Also, full category support should
be
provided where the PDAs support categories