RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] porting to proposal-branch

From: Alex Borges
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] porting to proposal-branch
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 11:18:55 -0600

El lun, 17-11-2003 a las 01:19, Kai Hofmann escribió:
> > I think we should get 16 out, work hard on making head 18, a
> > well tested
> > 18.001 should become 1.0
>
> I think we should skip head - make 1.0 from 0.16 and start from scratch with
> the new framework as 2.0

I disagree. 16 is not the funnest thing to develop on, and HEAD, as a
proposal, is just a tiny step away when compared to the full rewrite the
proposal branch is.

HEAD proposes to move to xslt based templates and its just missing a
couple of features to be a fully css oriented with sane javascript
features. I think of it as a release that sensibly slims 16's UI layer
without having to reprogram everything.

I think we can do HEAD in the short term (6-8) months, but i dont think,
no matter how good the experimental-working folk is, we can have as much
features in 1.0 in that same time. I would give the new framework a
year.

Now, if everybody decides to dump head in favor of experimental, then
maybe this timeframe can be reduced. The problem i see is the upgrade
path. Even if the framework and porting or rebuilding of apps is
finished soon, providing tools to port to the new framework will be hard
and much more work. I dont think it would be all that wise to wait so
much for the next release.