Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] addbook ready for testing

From: heiko . schwarzenberg
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] addbook ready for testing
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:45:11 +0200

brian, thank you for taking time to test it.
some first thoughts about your points:

> I've done a preliminary test of addbook
>
> I had to upgrade from 0.9.12 and I have NOT set it up as the default
> addressbook

currently there is no possibility to choose which addressbook you want to use as
default. but because of the fact that the new addbook nees another api class for
interacting correctly with email and infolog and other apps, the old addressbook
won't work correctly after that.

> So here is a list of things that occured to me as I was playing with it
> (this is meant as constructive criticism since I think this concept will be
> a HUGE improvement in the arrangement of data than the current addressbook)
>
> 1. what do the contact listings in the add organization form do? they don't
> seem to tie in with anything

do you mean the extra-contacts? its the answer for your 3rd question. take a
look
down..

> 2. could the add organization and add person forms be rolled into one? I
> thought maybe a add contact form that allowed you to pick the org from a
> combo box or type in a new one, if an existing one display the org info for
> editing and if a new one allow the user to input the new org info on the
> same form as the person info

at the moment you can choose an already created organization from an dropdown-
box (just beside "job").

> 3. we need more fields for the orgs and the persons.  we could get an
> unlimited number if we somehow set it up as a separate table with
> contact_id, info_type (eg phone numbers, mobile numbers, fax numbers,
> emails, web addresses, mailing addresses) and info_value

that has already been done. you can add extra and unlimited contacts. under
"administration->add contact categories" you can add categories for this extra
contacts, e.g.  pager, icq,... because the email-app or infolof expect some
typical
types like home phone or email, i had to make some fix contact categories.

> 4. a separate category system has been provided, can it be set up to allow
> multiple categories for each org or person? (eg use main phpgw category
> system to control user access to records but use a second category system to
> categorize contacts - but allow multiple categories per contact)
> 5. what is the infolog stuff?  is that from this module or from another
> module?  it is definitely useful but should be a separate module to make it
> easier (more intuitive) to use ie answer phone, hit infolog module button,
> find contact, make notes while talking.  This separate module would make it
> easier conceptually to separate the addbook (for recording contacts) and the
> inoflog (for recording notes about contacts)

its only a connection to the phpGW-infolog-module. i've adopted it from the old
addressbook. it works the same way.

> 6. if you're displaying a contact and try to add an info log entry, what
> projects is the infolog searching for?

ähem... it searchs for nothing. it just adds an entry to the infolog.

> 7. if you're displaying a contact and try to add an info log entry, where is
> the infolog searching for contacts?
> 8. the site configuration gave me an error that it couldn't find
> addbook/templates/default/config.tpl

when does this error exactly occur?

> 9. should there be an import from addressbook utility?

yes that's the next thing that should be implemented. i think this should be
integrated
into the installation
process. it could check if the old addressbook exists, if yes, there should be
an
option to migrate all contacts to the new addbook...

so far,  heiko